What could be more romantic than a wedding on a tropical island? Whether you dream of an extravagant theme wedding with a lavish reception, or an intimate exchange of vows on the beach, the wedding planners at Cuba's wide range of hotels and resort scan help you with every detail. And since you’re already in paradise, your honeymoon is sure to be perfect too.
Be sure to inquire about wedding and honeymoon packages when you’re booking your trip. Most hotels, including Hotel Brisas del Caribe in Varadero, Club Amigo Ancon near Trinidad and Cubanacán Versalles near Santiago offer special rates and extras like champagne and professional photos.
Getting married in Cuba
If you have never been married before: all you need is a valid passport and a tourist card.
If either the bride or groom has been married before: the previously married person must, in addition to the valid passport and tourist card, also produce the following documents:
- If divorced: his/her Certificate of Divorce;
- If widowed: his/her birth certificate, Certificate of Marriage and Certificate of Spouse’s Death.
Prior to departure: have the birth certificate and any divorce/marriage/death documents translated into Spanish, certified by a notary public and legalized by the Cuban consul in your country (service fee applies).
In addition, all couples must:
- Create a document that lists the names of the bride and groom, along with their home address, occupation, level of education, nationality, and the full names of their parents, living or deceased;
- Attach copies of the photo pages of both passports;
- Fax copies of all documentation (including the extras described above if you have been married before) in both English and Spanish to your hotel in Cuba at least three weeks before your arrival there;
- Bring all your original documents with you;
- Arrive in Cuba at least three working days prior to your wedding.
Your marriage will be formalized in the name stated on your passport. Your passport must therefore be correct, and the name on your passport must match that on all your other documents. After your wedding, your Marriage Certificate will be prepared as quickly as possible and either given to you before you leave (time permitting) or couriered at the hotel’s expense to the home address on your documents. Your marriage is legalized by the Embassy of your country in Havana and the Cuban Foreign Affairs department.